Financial worries can drain your enjoyment from life. Sadly, many people end up strapped with debts that could have been wiped away through bankruptcy.
You don't need to struggle forever. Bankruptcy can provide a way out.
If you are facing financial challenges, we at Milavetz, Gallop & Milavetz, P.A., can help. Our attorneys represent everyday people who have run into money problems as a result of a foreclosure, job loss, medical condition, divorce or other challenging circumstances. Based in the Twin Cities, we provide advice to clients across Minnesota.
We can help you explore your options for becoming debt-free — for example, through:
- Chapter 7 bankruptcy
- Chapter 13 bankruptcy
- Chapter 13 conversion to Chapter 7
- Emergency filings
- Foreclosure prevention
Why Choose Us?
- Our highly skilled bankruptcy attorneys focus solely on this complex area of law.
- We're familiar with federal bankruptcy courts in Minnesota.
- We took a landmark case all the way to our nation's highest court to fight for your bankruptcy rights — and we won.
- Our firm has been standing up for the rights of individuals since 1963.
- We have helped thousands of clients successfully complete bankruptcy and achieve freedom from debt.
What Is Bankruptcy?
Bankruptcy is a valuable legal proceeding designed to give people a fresh financial start. Rooted in the U.S. Constitution, it allows consumers to reorganize and get rid of (discharge) certain debts such as:
- Credit card debt
- Medical bills
- Payday loans
- Other unsecured debts
It's essentially an escape hatch from the financial prison of excessive debt.
What Are The Different Types Of Bankruptcy?
Many people know what bankruptcy is, but they get confused by all the "legal speak" when it comes to the details. Chapter 7, Chapter 13 and Chapter 11 — what do they all mean?
The chapter references are based on provisions of the Bankruptcy Code. Each type of bankruptcy is its own proceeding with different procedures, requirements, timelines and outcomes.
Most everyday people who file bankruptcy do so under either Chapter 7 or Chapter 13.
How Will Bankruptcy Help Me?
Through bankruptcy, you can wipe away most debts that would otherwise haunt you for a long time to come. There are also many immediate advantages. Filing bankruptcy puts a stop to wage garnishment, creditor harassment, repossessions, lawsuits and foreclosure proceedings.
Why Do I Need An Attorney?
Although you can file bankruptcy without an attorney, you should be aware that it's a complicated process. You could end up losing your property and other rights if you don't know the law. What's more, if you start a bankruptcy case and don't end up completing it properly, the case could backfire. You could end up stuck with all your original debts and be barred from filing for several years.
What Should I Expect In Working With Your Firm?
When you call our office and schedule an appointment, you will meet with one of our experienced attorneys. We will give you honest guidance so you can make an informed decision on which path is best for your situation. We will also advise you on what to expect in your situation.
Typically, the process involves:
- A free initial consultation to go over your options
- Completion of bankruptcy paperwork
- Online credit counseling
- Filing bankruptcy with the court
- Online debtor education course
- Meeting of creditors (341 meeting)
- A repayment plan that lasts three to five years (Chapter 13)
- Discharge of your debts 60 days after the meeting of creditors (Chapter 7)
Our lawyers will walk you through each and every step so you're not left in the dark.
To get started, call 612-444-5604. We have convenient offices across the Twin Cities, and we work with clients across Minnesota.
We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.