Alan S. Milavetz
February 18, 2010 Minnesota Lawyer names Alan Milavetz as one of its Attorneys of the Year
Alan S. Milavetz has been a trial lawyer for 27 years. His Minnesota practice includes motor vehicle, wrongful death, medical malpractice, brain injury and spinal injury cases. A graduate of William Mitchell College of Law, Mr. Milavetz is also a certified rule 114 arbitrator and a civil law mediator. He is licensed to practice law in all Minnesota State and Federal Courts and is a member of the Minnesota and American Association for Justice. Mr. Milavetz is a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, a group of plaintiffs’ lawyers who have achieved million dollar verdicts, awards, or settlements.
Mr. Milavetz is strongly committed to helping those in need, professionally and personally. Mr. Milavetz is an active community member. He is a leadership award recipient and serves as a director on numerous boards. He has participated in overseas humanitarian missions in the former Soviet Union and Israel and is an avid genealogist. Mr. Milavetz and his wife have four children.
Mr. Milavetz recently litigated the case of Milavetz, Gallop & Milavetz, P.A., et. al. v. United States of America and obtained an order declaring portions of the Bankruptcy Act of 2005 unconstitutional. The 8th Circuit issued its decision at Milavetz, Gallop & Milavetz, P.A. v. U.S., 541 F.3d 785, (8th Cir. 2008) The Supreme Court of the United States has granted certiorari on June 8, 2009. The case was heard by the U.S. Supreme Court on December 1, 2009, and its decision was issued on March 8, 2010. You can find the Supreme Court's opinion here.
Mr. Milavetz has resolved thousands of claims arising out of wrongful death, automobile accidents, brain injuries, personal injuries and medical malpractice.
Milavetz, Gallop & Milavetz, P.A. is proud to announce that Alan S. Milavetz has been named for the tenth time as one of Minnesota's SuperLawyers. A SuperLawyer is an individual who has been voted as one of Minnesota's top 5% of attorneys, by other attorneys. In 2008, Mr. Milavetz was selected as a "Top 100 Trial Layers" by The American Trial Lawyers Association. In 2007, Mr. Milavetz was selected as a Top 40 Personal Injury attorney by Minnesota Law & Politics. Alan is also rated AV by the respected, nationwide, Martindale-Hubble Law Directory. The ratings are developed by obtaining confidential opinions from lawyer adversaries and judges before whom the lawyer has appeared. Ability rating categories are A, B, C, and no rating. An "A" rating is the "very high to preeminent" category - the highest rating possible. It signifies that the lawyer has reached the heights of professional excellence, recognized for the highest levels of skill and integrity. The "V" rating is the highest for adherence to ethical standards, reliability, and diligence.
Minnesota Super Lawyers: Ten Years
Litigation Percentage: 75% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- 75% Personal Injury - Plaintiff
- 15% Transportation Law
- 5% Workers Compensation
- 5% Employment
- Minnesota, 1985
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, 1985
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 1985
- U.S. Tax Court, 1986
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2009
- William Mitchell College of Law, St. Paul, Minnesota, 1984 J.D.
- University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 1980 B.A. Major: Speech - Communications
- Rule 114 Arbitration Certification, 1996
- Minnesota State Bar Association Certified Mediation Skills Training, 1996
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Hennepin County Bar Association, Member
- Dakota County Bar Association, Member
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, 1985 - Present
- Minnesota Association for Justice, Member
- American Association for Justice (AAJ)
- Minnesota Trial Lawyers Association (MTLA)
- Member of National Trial Lawyers
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum, 2000 - Present
- Cardozo Society, Member
Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- The National Trial Lawyers is a national organization composed of the top 100 trial lawyers from each state. Membership is obtained through special invitation and is extended only to those attorneys who exemplify superior qualifications, leadership, reputation, influence, stature, and profile as trial lawyers, both civil plaintiff and criminal defense, 2009.
Lawsuits of the Year
- Dec/Jan 2009 article naming Haag case as one of the Lawsuits of the Year, "Lawsuits of the Year, Last Call For Sidelines," Minnesota Law & Politics.
- Dec/Jan 2009 article naming Milavetz, Gallop & Milavetz v. United States as one of the Lawsuits of the Year. Milavetz, Gallop & Milavetz challenge of the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005. "Attorney's in Minnesota may soon be able to speak freely with clients facing bankruptcy, thanks to Alan Milavetz and Chad Schulze.", "Lawsuits of the Year, Gagged and Bound," Minnesota Law & Politics.
- "A Debt Defying Act. Courts say part of embattled bankruptcy law violates First Amendment." ABA Journal, 2009
- "Big Fight for a Small Firm." The National Law Journal, November 30, 2009
CNN Guest Appearance
Top 40 Personal Injury Lawyer
- The 2007 Minnesota's "Top 40 Personal Injury Lawyer" survey was published in the June/July edition of Minnesota Law & Politics Magazine. Over 18,000 ballots were sent to randomly selected attorneys across Minnesota. Minnesota attorneys were asked to name peers that they considered to be outstanding lawyers in the field of personal injury law." Top 40 Plaintiff Personal Injury Attorneys," Minnesota Law & Politics.
Leading Plaintiffs' Lawyers in America
- The Lawdragon 3000 Leading Plaintiffs' Lawyers in America 2007, 2006. Lawdragon asks the nation's best lawyers and their clients who they would trust with their own legal matters. The Lawdragon reports annually those findings.
Top Personal Injury Recoveries
- Minnesota Law & Politics, multiple appearances.
Attorneys of the Year 2009
- Award, Minnesota Lawyer, February 2010
Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Member; The Million Dollar Advocates Forum is the most prestigious group of trial lawyers in the United States. Membership is limited to attorneys who have won million and multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements. There are over 3000 members throughout the country. Fewer than 1% of U.S. lawyers are members.
Top Plaintiffs' P.I. Lawyers
- Listed as one of the state's top plaintiffs' personal injury lawyers in 2000. "Minnesota's Top Personal-Injury Lawyers," Minnesota Law & Politics.
Dr. David Tennenbaum Leadership Award
- UJFC (United Jewish Fund and Council), St. Paul
Pro bono/Community Service
- Campaign Chair, United Jewish Fund & Council 2002 - 2003
- Trustee, Mt. Zion congregation, St. Paul 2001 - 2005
- Organizer, Chair, Committee Member, TTSP 3 on 3 Basketball Tournament, 2001 to present
- Executive Committee Member, United Jewish Fund & Council, St. Paul, 1998 - 2010, President, 2004 - 2006. The United Jewish Fund & Council unites, sustains and enhances the St. Paul area Jewish community and strengthens bonds with Jewish communities in Israel and around the world.
- President Henry Sibley Debate Boosters, Inc., a 501c3 Corporation, 2004, Vice President, 2005 - 2010
- Board Member and Officer Friends of B'nai Abraham. A not-for-profit organization dedicated to the preservation of the history of Jews on the Iron Range and reuse of the one remaining Jewish monument on the Iron Range, the B'nai Abraham Synagogue in Virginia. One of the goals of the Friends is to see that this structure becomes a center for the celebration of the Iron Range's cultural and spiritual diversity.
- Board Member Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest, 1995 - 1996
- St. Paul Public Member, Harry Kay Foundation, 2004 - 2006
Scholarly Lectures and Writings
- Speaker, ABA Seminar, "Are You A Debt Relief Agency? The Consequences of Milavetz v. U.S."
- Speaker, American Bar Association, 2010
- Speaker, "Effects of Bankruptcy on Personal Injury Claims in Recessionary Times."
- Faculty, American Association for Justice, Winder Convention, AAJ, 2010
- Speaker, "Milavetz v. U.S., Implications for Practitioners", May 6, 2010, Minnesota C.L.E.
- Speaker Multiple, Jewish Genealogy, Synagogue Restoration